Home » Alaska » Electrical Contractor Licensing in Alaska

Electrical Contractor Licensing in Alaska

  • SumoMe

Electrical Contractors in the State of Alaska are required to hold a license.  Anyone offering to perform electrical work must hold a license or employ a licensed Electrical Administrator to qualify and oversee their work.    Licenses are issued by the Alaska Department of Commerce, Community and Economic Development: Corporations, Business & Professional Licensing.

The Department is responsible for ensuring that all electrical work within the state is performed safely, by qualified individuals.  In order to obtain a license, the individual must meet the Department’s requirements for work experience and/or education, and pass an exam.

*In some cases, contractors may also be required to obtain an Alaska Business License.  For more information, please visit:

State of Alaska- Business Licensing Division

License Classifications and Categories for Electrical Contractor in Alaska

An Electrical Administrator license allows contractors to install and repair electrical wiring, conduits, devices, fixtures, equipment and materials used for transmitting and consuming electrical energy.  Additionally, this license allows contractors to oversee and inspect electrical work and materials to ensure that everything is up to codes and safety standards.

Within this license classification, the Department offers the following categories so that contractors may specialize in a specific type of electrical work:

  • Residential Wiring (RW)
  • Unlimited Commercial Wiring (UCW)
  • Unlimited Line Work (UL)
  • Outside Communications (OC)
  • Inside Communications (IC)
  • Controls and Control Wiring (CNTL)

The scope of work allowed for each license category is found in the application packet.  To view a copy of the application, please visit:

Electrical Administrator License Application

The scope of work for each license category is also found in the Electrical Administrators Statutes and Regulations. Please visit:

Statutes and Regulations: Electrical Administrators

For questions about the license categories available and the scope of work they are allowed to perform, contact the Department at:



Email: jerry.hannasch@alaska.gov

Process to Obtain an Electrical Contractor License in Alaska

  1. Contractors must obtain or employ someone who holds an Electrical Administrator license to oversee all electrical work
  2. Those applying for a license must meet the Department’s requirements for work experience and/or education based on their chosen license category
  3. Contractors must submit an application to the Department, along with all the required documents and fees
  4. Contractors must take and pass the examination, administered by PSI Services
  5. Contractors must attend continuing education workshops every 2 years upon renewal

Work Experience and Education Requirement

Before the Department will approve the contractor to take the exam, they must prove that they meet the requirements for work experience and/or education, based on their chosen license category:

  • Residential Wiring (RW)- must have 4 years of work experience, with at least 2 years as a Journeyman performing residential wiring work.
  • Unlimited Commercial Wiring (UCW) and Unlimited Line Work (UL)- must have 6 years of work experience, with at least 4 years of practical experience as a Journeyman or 4 years of construction management experience within the license category the contractor is applying for.
  • Outside Communications (OC) and Inside Communications (IC)- must have 4 years of work experience with at least 2 years of experience as a Journeyman performing outside/ inside communications work; or be a graduate of a college, university or trade school in outside/ inside communications.
  • Controls and Control Wiring (CNTL)- must hold a mechanical administrator license for at least 4 years, in addition to 2 years of experience as a Journeyman installing low voltage controls (48 volts or less) and at least 2 years of construction management experience in low voltage control wiring.
*The Department also accepts other combinations of education and work experience.  More information about what is acceptable for each license category is found in the application packet, as well as in the statutes and rules for Electrical Administrators.  For more information, please visit the links below:
Electrical Administrator License Application
 Statutes and Regulations: Electrical Administrators

All applicants are required to provide a complete resume, detailing their work experience and education in the license category for which they are applying.

When using work experience to meet the requirement, the person who is verifying the contractor’s experience must send a notarized certificate directly to the Department.  Contractors are required to provide at least 3 references.

In order to count toward the work experience requirement, references must:

  1. Be licensed by the electrical industry in the category for which the contractor is applying
  2. Have direct knowledge of the contractor’s skills and work experience
*The Department will contact all references and persons verifying the contractor’s work experience. 

When using education to meet the requirement, transcripts must be sent to the Department, directly from the college, university or trade school that the contractor attended.  In order to count toward the requirement, schools must be properly accredited or approved by the Alaska Commission in Postsecondary Education.

For questions about the work experience and education requirement, and the types of experiences that count toward the requirement, contact the Department at:



Email: jerry.hannasch@alaska.gov

Preparing and Submitting an Application

Contractors are required to submit an application to the Department in order to gain approval to take the exam.

For a copy of the license application packet, please visit:

Electrical Administrator License Application

Be sure to read all instructions and follow all directions on the application.  Do not leave any questions blank.  If a questions does not applying, simply indicate, not applicable, “N/A.”

All applications must be notarized.

Remember that a complete application packet includes the following:

  • Indication of the license category for which the contractor is applying
  • Official transcripts for any education that is being used to satisfy the requirement
  • Complete resume detailing education and work experience
  • Notarized certificate from 3 references in support of the contractor’s work experience
  • Required fees
*All applicants are also required to indicate the licensed/registered contractor to which they will be assigned.  If the applicant does not plan to work with a contractor at the time they apply, they will be given an “unassigned” status. 

There is a non-refundable $250 fee which must be submitted along with the application.  This includes the license fee and application fee.  The Department accepts payments in the form of check or money order, made payable to the, “State of Alaska.”

Mail the completed application, along with all the required documents and fees to:

Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development
Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing
Contractor Licensing Section
P.O. Box 110806
Juneau, AK 99811-0806

The Department also accepts applications in-person at their physical address:

State Office Building
333 Willoughby Ave, 9th Floor
Juneau, AK 99801

Once the Department approves the contractor’s application, they will be sent an exam eligibility letter, along with instructions for registering for the licensing exam.

Contractors must submit their test scores to the Department upon passing the exam.

Direct questions about the application and licensing process to the Department’s Licensing Examiner, Jerry Hannasch:



Email: jerry.hannasch@alaska.gov

The Examination Process

The Department holds a contract with PSI Services to administer the exam.  Once the contractor’s application is approved and they receive an exam eligibility letter from the Department, they must register for and schedule their exam with PSI.

Contractors have one year from the time that their application is approved to take and pass the exam.

The computer-based examination is designed to test the contractor’s knowledge of their chosen license category.  Exams cover the following information:

  • Plans and Design Specifications
  • Engineering Terms
  • Electrical Installations and Wiring
  • National Electric Code Regulations and Safety Codes
  • Regulations approved by the American Standards Association

PSI’s Candidate Information Bulletin contains all the information needed to register for the exam, including the exam registration form, suggested references and study materials, and exam content outlines.  For a copy of the bulletin, please visit:

PSI- Candidate Information Bulletin

Applicants may register for the exam ONE of the following ways:

  • Online- go to the PSI website and follow the link for new user registration: psiexams.com
  • By Phone- call PSI and use their automated system 24 hours a day.  Representative are standing by to assist callers during regular business hours:
    (800) 733-9267
  • Fax- when registering by fax, allow 4 business days for processing.  Fax the registration form and payment information to:
    (702) 932-2666.
  • By mail: allow approximately 2 weeks for processing when submitting the exam registration form by mail.  Complete the exam registration form from the Candidate Information Bulletin.  Mail the registration form and payment to:

PSI Licensure: Certification
3210 E Tropicana
Las Vegas, NV 89121

The cost to take the exam is $150

PSI accepts payments in the form of:

  • Cashier’s Check or Money Order may payable to “PSI.”
  • Visa or Mastercard when applying online or by phone or fax

Once PSI accepts the exam registration form, it is the applicant’s responsibility to call PSI to schedule their exam.   To schedule an exam, call PSI at:

(800) 733-9267

Testing Centers are located in:

  • Fairbanks
  • Juneau
  • Anchorage
  • Ketchikan
  • Kodiak

On the day of the test, examinees should arrive at least 30 minutes for before their scheduled test to allow time for check-in.  They are also required to bring 2 forms of identification, including:

  1. A government issued photo id with the examinee’s signature; such as a driver’s license or passport
  2. Another form of identification with the examinee’s name and signature; such as a credit card or debit card.

Contractors are required to pass the exam with a minimum score of 70%.  Scores are issued same-day, before the contractor leaves the testing center.

The Department allows an unlimited number of exam re-takes during the year in which the contractor is approved to take the test.  If the contractor does not pass the exam within that years’ time, they must re-apply and submit a new application.

Exam results are valid for one year.  Upon passing the exam, the contractor must notify the Department in order to receive their license.

*Electrical Administrators are required to keep their license on them at all times when performing work on electrical projects, and present their license upon request. 

Direct all questions about the exam or examination process to PSI:

(800) 733-9267


Contact: Jerry Hannasch- Department Licensing Examiner:


Email: jerry.hannasch@alaska.gov

Website: Examination Schedule and Candidate Information

How Long is an Alaska Electrical Contractor License Valid?

All Electrical Administrator license categories are good for a period of 2 years in the State of Alaska.  Licenses expire on December 31st of the odd-numbered year.

For a copy of the renewal application, please visit:

Applications and Forms

The above link also offers links for online renewal.

The cost to renew a license is between $100 and $200 depending on the initial number that the contractor was issued.

Upon renewal, all licensed Electrical Administrators are required to submit proof that they have attended an 8 hour continuing education workshop, in order to stay up to date with the most current National Electric Code and safety standards.

Continuing education may also be completed in the form of formal correspondence or an individual study program.

All continuing education must be approved by the Department in order to count toward the requirement.

For more information about approved continuing education and what counts toward the requirement, please visit:

Approved Continuing Education Courses

For questions about renewal or the renewal process, please contact the Department:


Email: jerry.hannasch@alaska.gov


Visit: Online Application Process

Table of Fees

Fee What is it For? When is it Due?
$250 Non-fundable License and Application Fee Upon submitting the license application
$150 Examination Fee and Exam re-take Fee Upon registering to take or re-take the exam
$100-$200 Renewal Fee (based on license issuance number) Every 2 years upon renewal

Related Posts