Home » Kansas » Electrical Contractor Licensing in Kansas- By City

Electrical Contractor Licensing in Kansas- By City

  • SumoMe

Kansas does not have statewide licensing laws that apply to Electrical Contractors.  Licensing laws for Electrical Contractors are created at the local-level, by the city or county in which the contractor chooses to work.  Before beginning work on an electrical project, contractors should contact their local city or county clerk office to determine what is required.

*The State of Kansas adheres to National Electric Code for all state-owned buildings.  Additionally, all work performed within the state must adhere to Kansas Fire Prevention Code.   

This article covers the licensing laws for some of the larger cities in the State of Kansas.

*Please note, the Black & Associates exam is honored in all licensing jurisdictions where an examination is required to obtain a Master or Journeyman Electrician license. 

Wichita, KS

Electrical Contractors working in the City of Wichita, KS and Sedgwick County are required to hold a license from the Metropolitan Area Building and Construction Department.

The Department offers 3 different electrical license classifications:

  1. Electrical
  2. Elevator
  3. Handicapped Accessibility

Additionally, the Department offers 3 different types of electrical Trade Certificates:

  1. Master Electrical
  2. Journeyman Electrical
  3. Residential Wireman

All contractors are required to employ a Master Electrician who oversees and is responsible for all electrical work performed.

Those applying for a Trade Certificate are required to take and pass an exam.

The first step in obtaining a license or trade certificate is to submit an application.

For a copy of the license application, please visit:

Wichita-Sedgwick County Application for Trade Contractor License

For a copy of the Trade Certificate application, please visit:

Wichita-Sedgwick County Application for Trade Certificate

Applications are also available by calling:


The cost to obtain a license is $360.  Trade Certificates cost $35.

All license applicants are required to prove that they hold general liability, automobile insurance and workers compensation insurance.

Once the Department approves the application, they will issue a trade license or issue an approval notice for individuals who are required to take the exam.

Master, Journeyman and Residential Wiremen are required to take and pass the International Code Council (ICC) exam, administered by Pearson VUE.  Upon receiving approval from the Department, they must call Pearson VUE to schedule their test at:



Visit: Pearson VUE- ICC Exam

*The Department recommends waiting 24 to 48 hours after receiving an approval notice to schedule the exam, to ensure that Pearson VUE has time to process the contractor’s eligibility record. 

The cost to take the exam is $105, which is due upon scheduling.

When scheduling a test, Pearson VUE will provide a confirmation number, which will be needed on the day of the exam at check-in, along with a photo ID.  The name on the ID must match the name on the exam registration exactly.

The computer-based ICC exam is open-book.  Contractors must pass the test with a minimum score of 75%.  Scores are issued same-day, at the end of the exam.

Anyone who fails the exam must wait 10 days before scheduling a re-test.  Those who pass will be issued a trade certificate.

For more information about the exam, please view the testing bulletin at:

Contractor/Trades Examination Information Bulletin

Trade licenses and certificates are good for a period of 2 years, expiring every other year on December 31st of the odd-numbered year.

Upon renewal, all trade certificate holders are required to attend 12 classroom hours of approved continuing education.  For more information about continuing education, please visit:

Continuing Education Information

Contractors are also responsible for securing the proper permits at the start of each project.  To view a schedule of permit fees, visit:

Electrical Permit Fees

For a copy of the permit application, please visit:

Electrical Permit Application

For more information about obtaining an electrical contractor license or trade certificate in the City of Wichita, KS, please call:



316) 660-1840

The Metropolitan Area Building Department is located at the following addresses:

455 N. Main, 7th Floor
Wichita, KS 67202
1144 S. Seneca
Wichita, KS 67213

Overland Park and Olathe, KS

Electrical Contractors working in Johnson County, including the cities of Overland Park and Olathe, KS are required to obtain a Class DE- Electrical Contractor license from the county office.

All businesses are required to employ a full-time Qualifying Individual.  This person is responsible for overseeing all work performed by the business.  Sole Proprietors may act as their own Qualifying Individual.

The Qualifying Individual must meet one the following requirements:

  • Hold a Bachelor of Science degree from an ABET or ACCE accredited program in one of the following majors:
    • Architecture
    • Engineering
    • Construction Science
    • Construction Management
*Landscape Architecture does not count toward the requirement
  • Have passed a Board-approved standard electrical examination, such as the ICC exam, with a score of 75% or higher.

All Qualifying Individuals are also required to provide documented proof that they meet one of the following work experience requirements:

  • At least 2 years of work experience as a licensed Journeyman Electrician
  • At least 4 years of work experience working under the direct supervision of a licensed Master Electrician

Once the applicant has chosen a Qualifying Individual who meets the requirements, they must submit an application, along with the required documents and fees.

For a copy of the license application packet, please visit:

Contractor Licensing- New Application

Contractors are required to submit the following along with the application:

  • Proof of general liability and workers compensation insurance. If the contractor does not have employees, they must complete a Workers Compensation Waiver
    *All forms of insurance must be from a company licensed to do business in the State of Kansas.
  • Digital photo of the Qualifying Individual and a photo-copy of a government-issued ID for the business owner.
  • All corporations must prove that they are in good standing with the Kansas Secretary of State.

There is a $100 application fee and a $225 license fee.  Acceptable forms of payment include cash, check or money order, made payable to “Contractor Licensing.” 

*When submitting a check, the license and application fee may be combined. 

Upon approving the contractor’s application, the Board will issue a license.

Before the start of any project, contractors are responsible for contacting the jurisdiction to obtain the proper permits.

Licenses are good for one year, expiring each year on the 31st of December.

Upon renewal all contractors are required to provide proof of current, up-to-date insurance.  Additionally, all Qualifying Individuals are responsible for attending 8 hours of approved continuing education courses.  Four of the required hours must be related to electrical code.

For more information about obtaining a Class DE- Electrical Contractor license in the Cities of Overland Park and Olathe, KS, please call:




Visit: Johnson Country- Class DE Electrical License

The Johnson County Contractor Licensing Office is located at:

111 S. Cherry St, Suite 100
Olathe, KS 65601

Kansas City, KS

Kansas City and Wyandotte County requires all Electrical Contractors to hold a Master Certificate of Qualification from the City Building Inspector in one of the following classifications:

  • Master Electrician
  • Master Residential Electrician

In order to qualify, applicants must be at least 21 years old.

Prior to submitting an application, contractors are required to take and pass the Block & Associates, Experior or Prometric Master Electrician exam, with a score of 75% or higher.

For a copy of the exam application, please visit:

Application for Testing

In order to qualify to take the exam, contractors must prove:

  • At least one year of practical experience working on the planning, layout, supervising, installation and repair of wiring, apparatuses and equipment used for light, heat and power.
  • An additional 3 years of work experience working under the direct supervision of a licensed Electrical Contractor or Master Electrician, performing electrical installs and repairs. Two years of the work experience requirement must be in the commercial and industrial fields.
    *Up to 2 years of credit may be granted toward the work experience requirement if the contractor has completed a post-high school electrical course that is approved by the Building Inspector. 

Upon passing the exam, contractors must submit a signed, notarized application for a Certificate of Qualification, along with the following:

  • Certificate of Competency- from the testing vendor, showing a passing score of at least 75% or higher
  • Original Surety Bond- in the amount of $5,000
  • Occupational Tax- all contractors are required to pay this fee before conducting business within the jurisdiction of Wyandotte County. For more information, please call:

Electrical certificates are good for one year.  Upon renewal, all contractors are required to pay a renewal fee, as well as the Occupational Tax for doing business within the city.

For more information, please contact the Building Inspections Office at:



Visit: Kansas City Building Inspection

The Building Inspection Office is located at:

4601 State Avenue, Suite 88
Indian Springs Marketplace
Kansas City, KS 66101

Topeka, KS

In order to perform electrical work in Topeka, KS contractors are required to hold a license from the City of Topeka Development Services Division.  The Division offers the following license classifications to Electrical Contractors:

  • Electrical Trade License
  • Master Electrician License
  • Journeyman Electrician License
  • Apprentice Electrician License

Anyone holding an Electrical Trade License is required to employ a full-time Master Electrician who has passed the Block, Experior, Thomson Prometric, ICC or IAPMO exam with a score of 75% or higher.  The Master Electrician is responsible for overseeing all work performed by the business.

Electrical Trade license applicants are also responsible for obtaining general liability insurance in the minimum amount of $300,000 for both bodily injury and property damage, as well as worker’s compensation insurance, as required by state law.

Journeyman Electricians are required to work under the direct supervision of a licensed Master Electrician.

Apprentice Electricians must work under the supervision of a licensed Journeyman or Master Electrician.

For a copy of the Trade License Application, please visit:

Topeka Trade License Application

For a copy of the Master, Journeyman or Apprentice application, please visit:

Master, Journeyman, Apprentice License Application

The fee for each license type is:

  • Electrical Trade License- $253/ $153 upon renewal
  • Master Electrician- $103/ $75 upon renewal
  • Journeyman Electrician- $53/ $33 upon renewal
  • Apprentice Electrician- $33/ $23 upon renewal

Licenses must be renewed each year before December 14th.  The Division mails out renewal notices during the month of October.

Upon renewal, all Journeyman and Master Electricians are required to attend continuing education courses related to the electrical trade.  Continuing education may be completed as 6 hours every year or 12 hours every 2 years.

All contractors are responsible for obtaining the proper permits before beginning work on a project.  The cost to obtain a permit is:

  • $53- Residential Projects
  • $103- Commercial Projects
*The cost of a permit increases for any projects over $200,000. 

For more information on obtaining a license or permit in the City of Topeka, call the Development Services Division at:

785-368-3905  Mon-Fri from 8am to 3:30pm


Visit the links below:

Trade License Requirements- City of Topeka

City of Topeka- Contractor License Information

The City of Topeka Development Services Division is located at:

620 SE Madison, Unit 6
Topeka, KS 66607-1118

Related Posts