Home » Oregon » General Contractor Licensing in Oregon

General Contractor Licensing in Oregon

  • SumoMe

Anyone performing construction, repairs, or alterations for money in the State of Oregon must hold a license in order to bid on and secure work.  General Contractor licenses are issued by the Oregon Construction Contractors Board (CCB).

In addition to general construction, contractors in the State of Oregon are required to hold a license when conducting the following types of work for compensation:

  • Purchasing a home and fixing it up to re-sell
  • Painting
  • Siding
  • Roofing
  • Heating and Air Conditioning
  • Supplying materials for installations or arranging material installations
  • Tree services
  • Carpentry
  • Concrete
  • On-site appliance repair
  • Electrical
  • Plumbing
  • Home Inspections

In order to become licensed contractors must attend training courses, pass an exam and submit a completed licensing application, along with the appropriate documents and fee to the CCB.

License Endorsements and Classifications in Oregon

The CCB offers two different license endorsements.  Contractors have the option of choosing:

  • Residential Endorsement- allowing them to perform work on residential properties and small commercial properties
  • Commercial Endorsement- allowing them to perform work on small and large commercial properties

Contractors who perform work on small commercial structures only, have the option of choosing a residential OR commercial endorsement.  If the contractor intends to work both commercially and residentially, they must apply for a dual endorsement.

Once the contractor decides the type of project they want to work on, they must choose a license classification.  The CCB offers the following license classifications for general contractors:

  • RGC- Residential General Contractor- offers the largest scope of work on both residential and small commercial projects in addition to specialty trades, such as roofing, concrete etc.
  • CGC1- Commercial General Contractor- Level 1- offers the largest scope of work for contractors who work on small or large commercial projects.  All applicants must have at least 8 years of construction experience.
  • CGC2- Commercial General Contractor- Level 2- offers the same level of work on small and large commercial projects as a Level 1 license.  Applicants have lesser bond and insurance amounts to meet.  All applicants must have at least 4 year of construction experience.

The CCB also offers other classifications including:

  • RSC- Residential Specialty Contractor
  • RLC- Residential Limited Contractor
  • RD- Residential Developer
  • CSC1- Commercial Specialty Contractor- Level 1
  • CSC2- Commercial Specialty Contractor- Level 2

For more specific information about the scope of the work these additional classifications may contract, and their limitations, please visit:


Process to Obtain a General Contractor’s License in Oregon

  1. Applicants must choose someone who within their business who will act as the Responsible Managing Individual (RMI) and meet all the licensing qualifications.  If the contractor is applying for a commercial endorsement, their RMI must have 8 year of construction experience when applying for a CGC1 License; and 4 years of construction experience if they are applying for a CGC2 License.
  2. Applicants must decide on a business name and register that business with the Oregon Secretary of State if they plan on operating a LP, LLC, LLP, Corporation or Joint Venture.
  3. Applicants must submit a surety bond in the proper amount and provide proof of general liability and worker’s compensation insurance
  4. Applicants must obtain business identification and employer identification numbers for tax purposes.
  5. Applicants must complete 16 hours of CCB-approved training courses
  6. Applicants must pass a qualifying examination based on their course training
  7. Applicants must submit the application, supporting documents and fees to the CCB.

Preparing to Submit an Application

It is important to read over the entire application including the instructions before filling anything out.  Use only dark blue or black ink to fill out the application.

To print out a copy of the application, go to:


Applicants are required to choose someone to act as a Responsible Managing Individual (RMI) on behalf of the business.  This person will represent the business by completing the training and passing the exam.  The RMI may be an owner or employee within the business.  The following people are allowed to act as the RMI:

  • Sole Proprietor
  • Employee within the business in a management or supervisory position
  • Partner in a partnership, joint venture or LP
  • Member or manager in an LLC
  • Person who holds controlling interest in the business
  • Corporate Officer

The CCB has created special instructions for applicants, based on the type of business they are planning on operating.  Special instructions are found on pages 4 and 5 of the application instructions for the following business types:

  • Sole Proprietors
  • General Partnerships or Joint Ventures
  • Limited Partnerships
  • Limited Liability Partnerships
  • Limited Liability Companies
  • Corporations

The CCB has also created a step-by-step slide show presentation online for each business type.  These slideshows walks applicants through the process, based on their business type.  For more information, click the link below and scroll down to the heading that says “Filling Out a CCB Application.” The business types listed are active links that open each slide show.


Next the contractor should choose their business name.  If the business the is an LLC, LLP, Joint Venture, LP or corporation, applicants must file their assumed business name with the Oregon Secretary of State Corporate Division.  Once they are registered, they must complete pages 2A, 3A, 4A and 5A of the application.  Contact the Secretary of State by:

All applicants are required to submit proof that they hold a CCB surety bond in addition to general liability insurance with the CCB in the appropriate amounts.  The amounts depend on the license classification chosen:

License Classification Bond Amount Insurance Amount
Residential General Contractors $20,000 Residential Bond $500,000 per incident
Level 1 Commercial General Contractor $75,000 Commercial Bond $2 Million aggregate insurance
Level 2 Commercial General Contractor $20,000 Commercial Bond $1 Million aggregate insurance
*For more information on bonds and insurance, and for additional classification bond and insurance amounts, visit:


If the contractor plans to employ workers they must provide proof that they hold worker’s compensation insurance.  For more information on worker’s compensation insurance, call:

(503)- 947-7810

All businesses must also obtain the appropriate tax identification numbers, such as the Business Identification (BIN) and Employer Identification numbers (EIN).  For more information, please visit:


For questions or assistance while filling out the application, call:


As the applicant begins to gather the appropriate documents to submit along with their completed application, it is the responsibility of the RMI to complete the training course requirement and pass the examination.

Training Course/Education Requirement

All RMIs are required to complete 16 hours of CCB-approved training and pass the exam before the contractor can submit their license application.  Training courses are based on:

  • Business practices in the State of Oregon
  • Contractor laws in the State of Oregon

There are several different training providers that the CCB approves. The training only satisfies the requirement if it is approved by the CCB.  Click below for a list of approved training providers:


Each training provider and course is different and it is important to shop around to determine the right price, format and services offered.  Many applicants look for courses where the instructor is available for questions after class and for a period after they have completed the course.  Some courses will also include the price of Oregon Contractor’s Reference Manual.

The information gathered during training and in the reference manual appears on the examination.  It is advisable to pick a training provider that has a high success rate of students passing the exam.

*Always check for updated versions of the Oregon Contractor’s Reference Manual to make sure the information is current and up-to-date with what the exam covers.

Training providers are also responsible for giving their students the information they need to register for the exam.  The exam is handled by a company named, Prometric.  It is important to direct any and all exam questions to Prometric and not the CCB.

For all exam-related questions, call Prometric at 800-462-8669

Or visit their website:


For more information about the Training Requirement and Frequently Asked Questions, visit:


The Examination Process

Once the RMI completes the training course, the provider will notify the CCB.  The CCB then notifies Prometric that they are eligible to take the exam.  It typically takes 3 days for this information to process.

The training provider will make sure the RMI has the information they need to contact Prometric Inc. once they complete their training course.  This includes a providing a copy or directions to obtain the Candidate Information Bulletin.

For a copy of the Candidate Information Bulletin, please visit:


It is important to read the entire Candidate Information Bulletin. It contains important information about study materials, topics covered on the exam, how to register and what to do on the day of the test.

The RMI must then register for the exam with Prometric.  There are two ways to register for the test:

When registering for the test, Prometric will ask for the same identification number that the RMI used when registering for their training courses.  At this time the RMI will also be asked to schedule their test date and pay the exam fee.

There is an $85 fee to take the exam.  Prometric accepts payments in the form of Visa or Mastercard.  This fee is non-refundable and non-transferable.

Testing Centers are located in the following locations in Oregon:

  • Eugene
  • Bend
  • Medford
  • La Grande
  • Portland (2 locations)

On the day of the exam, it is important to arrive at least 30 minutes before the scheduled test to allow time for check-in.  The RMI must bring a valid form of identification to the exam.  Valid IDs include:

  • Passport
  • Driver’s License
  • State ID card
  • Military ID card
  • Green Card

The exam is an open-book, 80-question, multiple-choice, computer-based test.  The examinee is allowed to bring a copy of the Oregon Contractors Reference Manual with them to the test.  The manual may contain the RMI’s notes within the text but no loose pieces of paper.

The Candidate Information Bulletin has more information about what is an is not allowed in the testing center on the day of the exam.

The RMI must have a score of at least 70% to pass the exam.  They will receive their score and score report on the day of the exam before they leave the testing center.

If the RMI does not pass the exam, they have an unlimited number of re-takes.  However they must wait 2 full business days after failing the exam before they may contact Prometric and schedule their re-take.

Once the RMI passes the exam, they must submit a copy of their score report along with the license application.

Submitting an Application

It is important to read over the entire application to make sure that all the required information and documents are provided before submitting it to the CCB.

There is an application checklist located on Page 2 of the application instructions.  It is important to review this checklist to make sure your completed license application includes the following:

  • Score report showing that the RMI has passed the exam and Training Course information- located on page 7 of the application
    *All training courses and exam scores are good for 24 months.  Afterward, the RMI will have to re- take the training course and exam again to meet the requirement
  • Proof of registration with the Secretary of State if the business is a corporation, LLC, LLP, Joint Venture or LP- located on pages 2A, 3A, 4A and 5A of the application
  • Information about the RMI, and which endorsement and license classification the contractor is applying for- located on pages 13, 1A-5B and page 6 of the application
  • Copy of the original surety bond in the correct amount based on the license classification
  • Certificate of general liability insurance in the correct amount based on the license classification
  • Copy of Worker’s Compensation insurance certificate and Tax Information numbers if the contractors plans to employ workers- located on pages 9 and 10 of the application
  • Complete the information on page 10 of the application and the independent contractor certification on page 11
  • Sign the application and make sure that the licensing period box is checked off on page 13
  • License fee is included with the application
*If the contractor plans on conducting home inspections, they must also complete page 18 of the application

There is a $325 licensing fee that must be submitted along with the application.  The CCB accepts payments in the form of:

  • Check
  • Money Order
  • Visa
  • Mastercard
  • Discover
*The CCB accepts cash in the exact amount when the application is submitted in person to their office in Salem

When submitting the application by mail, allow at least 10 business days for processing.  If the applicant decides to submit their application in person, there is a chance they can receive their license on the same day.

Mail the complete application, documents and fee to:

Construction Contractors Board
PO Box 14140
Salem OR 97309-5052

When mailing by Special Delivery or Overnight FedEx, use:

Construction Contractors Board
700 Summer St. NE Suite 300
Salem OR 97301-1287

To submit the application in person, visit the office Monday through Friday between 8am and 5pm.  Please note the office is closed on Tuesday morning between 8am and 9am.  In person applications must be submitted before 4pm.  Wait times of one hour or more are expected between 10am and 2pm.  The office is located at:

(Veteran Affairs Building)
700 Summer Street NE
Suite 300
Salem, OR 97301

For further questions about submitting the application, call the CCB at:


How Long is an Oregon General Contractor’s License Valid?

Residential and Commercial General Contractor licenses are good for 2 years in the State of Oregon.  Approximately 9 weeks before the license is about to expire, the CCB will send out a renewal form as a reminder.

Each renewal form is unique to the licensee and their business type.  The licensee may not use their renewal application to attempt to change their business type.  If the business type changes, the contractor must submit a new license application for their business.  All other changes, such as change of address, business name or a change in the RMI may be reported on the renewal form.

There is a $325 renewal fee to renew the license for another 2 year period.  The renewal fee must be submitted along with the form.  The CCB accepts payments in the form of credit card, check or money order when renewing online or by mail.  They accept cash in the exact amount when renewing in person.

For step-by-step instruction on how to fill out the license renewal form, please click the link below:


For information about renewing online, please visit:


*When renewing online the contractor must wait until their license is 8 weeks away from the expiration date.

Table of Fees

$20,000/$500,000 per incident Residential Surety Bond/General Liability Policy Amounts Upon submitting the application for a RGC License
$75,000/$2M aggregate policy Commercial Bond/ Liability Insurance Amounts Upon submitting the application for a CGC1 License
$20,000/ $1M aggregate policy Commercial Bond/ Liability Insurance Amounts Upon submitting the application for a CGC2 License
$85 Exam Fee Upon registering for the exam with Prometric
$325 Licensing Fee Upon submitting the license application
$325 License Renewal Fee Every 2 years at before the license expires