Home » Connecticut » Reciprocal General Contractor Licensing in Connecticut

Reciprocal General Contractor Licensing in Connecticut

  • SumoMe

The State of Connecticut does not hold reciprocal licensing agreements with other states for General Contractors.  This is because Connecticut offers Home Improvement Contractor Registration, rather than General Contractor Licensing.

Out-of-state contractors who want to work on residential construction projects in the State of Connecticut must register with the Department of Consumer Protection.  Registration is needed to contract any residential project over $200,000; or if the contractor earns over $1,000 on a project within a 12-month period.

The Department of Consumer Protection offers the following registration classifications to General Contractors:

  1. Home Improvement Contractor – allowing contractors to work on existing homes and properties
  2. Home Improvement Salesperson – allowing contractors to sell contracted construction work
  3. New Home Construction Contractor – allowing contractors to participate in the construction of new homes and properties

As part of the registration process, contractors are required to:

  • Fill out and submit an application
  • Pay the registration fee
  • Pay into the Home Improvement Guaranty Fund
  • Register their business with the CT Secretary of State, if the business is an LLC, LLP or corporation

For more information about obtaining registration as a General Contractor in the State of Connecticut, please visit:

Home Improvement Contractor Registration in Connecticut

Related Posts