Home » Hawaii » Reciprocal General Contractor Licensing in Hawaii

Reciprocal General Contractor Licensing in Hawaii

  • SumoMe

The State of Hawaii does not have reciprocal licensing agreements with other states for General Contractors.  This is due to the specific licensing process that contractors must go through in Hawaii.

Out-of-state contractors who want to work on construction projects in Hawaii must obtain a license from the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs if they plan to work on any project of $1,000 or more, including labor and materials.  Licenses are issued by the Department’s Contractor Licensing Board.

As part of the licensing process, contractors are required to:

  • Meet the Board’s requirement for age and work experience, or choose a responsible managing individual to meet the requirements
  • Demonstrate financial responsibility
  • Obtain Tax Clearance and register with the Hawaii Business Registration Division
  • Complete and submit a license application to the Board, along with all the required documents and fees
  • Pass the Business & Law and Trade examination, administered by Prometric Inc.
  • Obtain the proper forms of insurance and pay the licensing fee

We have a detailed, step-by-step guide for obtaining a General Contractor License in Hawaii.

Related Posts