Home » Iowa » Reciprocal General Contractor Licensing in Iowa

Reciprocal General Contractor Licensing in Iowa

  • SumoMe

The State of Iowa does not hold reciprocal licensing agreements with other states for General Contractors.  This is because Iowa offers registration for contractors, rather than licensing.

Out-of-state contractors who want to work in the State of Iowa must register with the Iowa Division of Labor.  Registration is required if the contractor makes more than $2,000 per year on construction projects.

As part of the registration process, contractors are required to:

  • Fill out and submit an application to the Iowa Division of Labor along with all the required documents and fees
  • Register with the Iowa Secretary of State, depending on the business type the contractor operates
  • Obtain a business license from the state, authorizing the contractor to conduct business in Iowa
  • Obtain the proper tax identification numbers
  • Obtain worker’s compensation insurance


All out-of-state contractors are also required to file a $25,000 surety bond.  For more information on bonding requirements, please visit the Iowa Workforce Development Website.

For more information about registering as a General Contractor in the State of Iowa, please visit our General Contractor Registration in Iowa page.

Related Posts