Home » Louisiana » Reciprocal General Contractor Licensing in Louisiana

Reciprocal General Contractor Licensing in Louisiana

  • SumoMe

The State of Louisiana holds reciprocal agreements for General Contractors licensed in the following states:

  • Arkansas
  • Mississippi
  • Alabama
  • Georgia
  • North Carolina
  • South Carolina
  • Virginia
  • Ohio
  • Kentucky
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah

Reciprocity between Louisiana and the above states allows licensed contractors to obtain a license to work on construction projects in Louisiana without having to take the LA Trade Exam, and without having to undergo the 60-day waiting period that other contractors must wait through before their application is approved.

The State of Louisiana requires contractors to hold a license to work on commercial projects of $50,000 or more and residential projects of $75,000 or more.

Reciprocal License Classifications in Louisiana

General Contractor licenses in the State of Louisiana are issued by the Louisiana State Licensing Board for Contractors.  Contractors have the option of applying for the following license types:

  • Commercial License
  • Residential License
  • Mold Remediation License

The States, with which Louisiana holds reciprocity agreements have similar license types and classifications to those offered in Louisiana.  These similarities allow for a waiver of the LA Trade Exam.

For more information about reciprocal license classifications in states that hold reciprocity with Louisiana, please visit:

Reciprocity – Louisiana State Licensing Board for Contractors

Reciprocal Requirements in Louisiana

In order to apply for a reciprocal license in Louisiana, the Board requires the following:

  • Contractors must hold a license in one of the reciprocal states and be a resident of that state.
  • The contractor must be licensed in a reciprocal state for a minimum of 3 years to qualify. Texas is the only exception to this rule, as there is no minimum license period.
  • The contractor’s license must be in good standing in their home state, and free from any sanctions or violations
  • Contractors must meet all the requirements set forth by the Louisiana State Licensing Board for Contractors

All contractors must submit a signed, notarized application, along with all the required documents and fees.  For copy of the application, please visit:

Application for Original Contractor’s License

Along with the application, contractors must submit the following documents:

  • An unaudited financial statement from an independent auditor, showing at least $10,000 in assets.
  • Proof of general liability insurance in the amount of $100,000 if applying for a Residential License; and in the amount of $50,000 if applying for a Mold Remediation License
  • Proof of worker’s compensation insurance, if the business holds employees
  • Certificate of good standing, proving that the business has registered with the Louisiana Secretary of State
  • All businesses must choose someone within their company to act as qualifying party. This person is responsible for taking and passing the LA Business and Law Exam.  This person must fill out the Qualifying Party form, located in the application.
  • Request for Verification form, filled out by the contractor’s home state licensing board, proving that the contractor holds an active valid license in a reciprocal state.

Reciprocity allows the Board to approve the contractor’s application without a 60-day waiting period.  Once approved, the qualifying party will be authorized to take the Business and Law Exam.

Reciprocity Exams in Louisiana

Reciprocity agreements in Louisiana provide a waiver of the Trade Examination.  However, all contractors/ qualifying parties must take and pass the LA Business and Law exam.

Once the Board approves the contractor’s license application, they will mail an approval notice, authorizing the contractor to take the exam.  This notice will contain instructions for registering for the exam.

For more information about the Business and Law Exam, contact the Board at:


Further Information

For more information about reciprocity in the State of Louisiana, contact Tarah Barbier in the Applications/Examinations Department:

225-765-2301 ext. 210


1-800-256-1392 ext 210

Via email: tbarbier@lslbc.louisiana.gov


Visit: Important Information for Out-of-State Contractor Seeking Reciprocity in Louisiana

*Contractors licensed in Louisiana who want to work in another state, must contact that state’s licensing board and go through the proper examination/application process.  They must request that the Board complete a license verification request form, proving that they hold a LA license.  For more information, contact Paula Lomotte at:
`1-800-256-1392 ext. 227
Via email: plamotte@lslbc.louisiana.gov

Related Posts