Home » Minnesota » Reciprocal General Contractor Licensing in Minnesota

Reciprocal General Contractor Licensing in Minnesota

  • SumoMe

The State of Minnesota does not hold reciprocal licensing agreements for General Contractors licensed in other states.  This is because Minnesota offers two very specific license classifications to General Contractors:

  1. Residential Building Contractor License
  2. Residential Remodeler License

Out-of-state contractors who want to work on construction projects in Minnesota must obtain one of these license classifications from the MN Department of Labor & Industry (DLI).

As part of the licensing process, contractors are required to:

  • Choose a qualifying person to take and pass the pre-licensing exam
  • Register their business with the appropriate entities and obtain the proper tax numbers
  • Obtain the proper forms of insurance
  • Prepare and submit an application to the DLI, along with the appropriate fees

For more information about obtaining a General Contractor License in the State of Minnesota, please visit:

Building Contractor Licensing in Minnesota

Related Posts