Home » Nevada » Reciprocal General Contractor Licensing in Nevada

Reciprocal General Contractor Licensing in Nevada

  • SumoMe

The State of Nevada holds limited reciprocal licensing agreements for General Contractors who are licensed in the following states:

  • California
  • Arizona
  • Utah

Contractors who hold a license in one of the above states may obtain a license to work on construction projects in Nevada without having to take and pass the Trade Examination.  This is due to the similarities in the trade exams offered in the reciprocal states.

*The Trade Examination is not waived for any contractor practicing a trade that includes electrical, fire protection or plumbing. 

Reciprocal License Classifications in Nevada

Out-of-state contractors who want to work on construction projects in Nevada, must obtain a license from the Nevada State Contractors Board.  Contractors have the option of choosing from the following license classifications in Nevada:

  • Class A- General Engineering Contractor License
  • Class B- General Building Contractor License
  • Class C- Specialty Trade Contractor License

Contractors who hold a license in a reciprocal state may easily apply for one of these license classifications from the Board.

Reciprocal Requirements in Nevada

In order to qualify for reciprocity in Nevada, contractors must meet the following requirements:

  • Contractors must hold a valid, active license in a reciprocal state for at least 5 years, within the last 7 years
  • The license must be in good-standing with the contractor’s home-state licensing board
  • Contractors must have taken and passed their home state’s equivalent qualifying exam

If you meet these requirements, you must complete and submit a license application to the Nevada State Contractors Board.

Along with the application, contractors are required to:

  • Provide a Resume of Experience
  • Submit notarized Reference Certificates
  • Complete the Background Disclosure Form
  • Provide a Financial Statement
  • Register their business with the Nevada Secretary of State
  • Pay the Application Processing Fee

Once the license application is approved, the Board will issue further instructions for licensing and taking the NV Business and Law Exam.

Reciprocity Exams in Nevada

Reciprocity in Nevada provides a waiver of the Trade Exam.  However, all contractors are required to take and pass the NV Business and Law Exam.

All contractors must pass the Business and Law Exam with a minimum score of 70%.

The exam is administered by PSI Services.  Once the license application is approved, the Board will issue an Exam Eligibility Letter along with the PSI Candidate Information Bulletin.  These documents will contain all the information needed to register for and take the exam.

For more information about the Nevada Business and Law Exam, contact PSI at:


Final Steps for a Reciprocal License

After the contractor passes the exam, they must submit the following documents and complete the following steps in order to receive a license:

  • Pay the license fee
  • Submit a bond or cash deposit
  • Pay into the Residential Recovery Fund (Residential Contractors ONLY)
  • Provide proof of worker’s compensation insurance

Once the contractor has submitted the final fees and documents, the Board will issue a license.

Further Information about Reciprocity in Nevada

For more information about obtaining a General Contractor license through reciprocity in the State of Nevada, please contact the Nevada State Contractors Board at:





Visit the Board website.

Related Posts