Home » Rhode Island » Reciprocal General Contractor Licensing in Rhode Island

Reciprocal General Contractor Licensing in Rhode Island

  • SumoMe

The State of Rhode Island does not hold reciprocal licensing agreements with other states for General Contractors.  This is because Rhode Island requires contractors to obtain a registration credential, rather than a license.

Out-of-state contractors who want to work on construction projects in the State of Rhode Island must register with the RI Contractors Licensing and Registration Board.  Registration is required for both commercial and residential contractors.  Contractors must register if they plan to bid on, sell or perform work on construction projects of any kind.

As part of the registration process, contractors are required to:

  • Complete and sign an out-of-state service form affidavit
  • Hire a Rhode Island attorney to act as an in-state agent of service
  • Attend a mandatory 5-hour pre-registration education course
  • Register their business entity with the Rhode Island Secretary of State
  • Obtain the proper forms of insurance, including general liability, unemployment and workers compensation
  • Complete and submit a registration application to the Board along with all required documents and fees
  • Attend continuing education courses upon renewal

View General Contractor Registration in Rhode Island for step-by-step instructions on getting registered.

Related Posts