Home » Massachusetts » Reciprocal General Contractor Licensing in Massachusetts

Reciprocal General Contractor Licensing in Massachusetts

  • SumoMe

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts does not hold reciprocal licensing agreements for contractors in other states at this time.  Reciprocity is not offered due to the specific requirements Massachusetts contractors must meet.

Any out-of-state contractor wanting to work in Massachusetts must obtain a license or registration from the state to work on projects of $500 or more.

Contractors may choose from the following classifications:

  • Home Improvement Contractor (HIC) Registration- offered by the Office of Consumer Affairs. Allows contractors to work on pre-existing homes, buildings and structures
  • Construction Supervisor License (CSL)- offered by the Board of Building Regulation and Standards. Allows contractors to supervise or build new homes buildings and structures.  There are two different CSL types:
    1. Unrestricted CSL- allows contractors to work on any building or structure up to 35,000 cubic feet of enclosed space
    2. Restricted CSL- limits contractors to working on one and two-family homes and accessory buildings


For more information about obtaining an HIC registration and/or CSL in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, please visit:

Construction Supervisor Licensing in Massachusetts

Related Posts