Home » Alaska » Reciprocal General Contractor Licensing in Alaska

Reciprocal General Contractor Licensing in Alaska

  • SumoMe

The State of Alaska does not have reciprocal licensing agreements with other states for General Contractors.  Out-of-state contractors who want to work or bid on construction projects of $10,000 or more in Alaska are required to obtain a license from the Division of Corporations Business and Professional Licensing.

Licenses are issued by the Division’s Contractor Licensing Department.  As part of the licensing process, contractors are required to:

  • Ensure their business name is unique
  • Obtain a State of Alaska Business License
  • Post a bond and obtain the proper forms of insurance
  • Register with the Corporations section of the Division if their business is a corporation
  • Complete and submit a license application to the Division, along with all the required documents and fees

The Division requires all residential contractors working on projects that exceed 25% of the cost of the home/building to obtain a Residential Endorsement License.  As part of the Residential Endorsement licensing process, contractors must:

  • Attend mandatory prerequisite training courses
  • Take and pass the Residential Contractor Endorsement Exam, administered by PSI Services
  • Attend continuing education courses upon renewal
*A Residential Endorsement license is not needed if the cost of a residential project is less than 25% of the cost of the home/building. 

For more information, visit our page detailing how to obtain a General Contractor License in the State of Alaska.

Related Posts