Home » Montana » Reciprocal General Contractor Licensing in Montana

Reciprocal General Contractor Licensing in Montana

  • SumoMe

The State of Montana does not have reciprocity agreements with other states for General Contractors.  This is because Montana requires contractors to obtain a registration, in connection with workers compensation law, instead of licensing.

Out-of-state contractors who want to work on construction projects in Montana must register with the MT Department of Labor & Industry (DLI).  The DLI offers two different registration classifications to General Contractors:

  1. Construction Contractor Registration (CR)- for business entities and contractors who plan to employ workers. All CR registrants are required to obtain Montana worker compensation insurance.  Workers compensation insurance does not carry over from other states.
  2. Independent Contractor Exemption Certificate (ICEC)- for independent contractors and sole proprietors who do not employ workers. These registrants waive the requirement for MT workers compensation insurance and may purchase insurance independently.
*In order to hire Montana workers, all contractors must have a registration with an “employer” status. 

As part of the registration process, contractors must complete and submit an application to the DLI along with all the required documents and fees.

For more information, visit our page detailing the process for registering as a General Contractor in the State of Montana.

Related Posts