The State of North Dakota does not have reciprocal licensing agreements with other states for General Contractors. Any out-of-state contractor who wishes to work on construction projects of $2,000 or more in North Dakota must register their business and obtain a license from the North Dakota Secretary of State.
As part of the licensing process, contractors are required to:
- Register their trade name/ business entity with the ND Secretary of State Business Division
- Obtain the proper forms of insurance and the proper tax permits
- Complete and submit a license application to the Secretary of State, along with all the required documents and fees
- Meet all the requirements for license renewal
The Secretary of State offers the following license classifications to General Contractors, which set a monetary limit for each project:
- Class A- projects over $250,000
- Class B- projects up to $250,000
- Class C- projects up to $120,000
- Class D- projects up to $50,0000
For more information, visit General Contractor Licensing in the State of North Dakota.