Home » Virginia » Reciprocal General Contractor Licensing in Virginia

Reciprocal General Contractor Licensing in Virginia

  • SumoMe

The Commonwealth of Virginia does not have reciprocal licensing agreements for General Contractors licensed in other states.  The only reciprocity agreements that Virginia holds is for electrical and plumbing contractors.

As an out-of-state contractor, you must hold a Class A, B or C license from the Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR) to work on construction projects in Virginia.  Licenses are issued by the DPOR’s Board for Contractors.

As part of the licensing process, contractors are required to:

  • Meet the Board’s requirements for net worth, education and work experience
  • Pass the Designated Employee Examination
  • Register their business name with the Virginia Corporation Commission or the local Clerk of Court
  • Complete and submit an application to the Board, along with all the required documents and fees
  • Follow any local licensing regulations and ordinances in the county where the contractor plans to conduct business


For more information about obtaining a General Contractor License in the Commonwealth of Virginia, please visit:

General Contractor Licensing Regulations in Virginia

Related Posts