Home » Washington DC » Reciprocal General Contractor Licensing in Washington D.C.

Reciprocal General Contractor Licensing in Washington D.C.

  • SumoMe

The District of Columbia does not have reciprocal licensing agreements with other states or jurisdictions for contractors.  This is due to the specific licensing requirements that contractors in Washington DC must follow.

Contractors who want to work on construction projects within the District of Columbia must obtain a Basic Business License from the Department of Consumer Regulatory Affairs (DCRA) Corporations Division.

The DCRA offers the following license types to contractors:

  • General Contractor
  • Construction Manager
  • Home Improvement Contractor

License types are then broken down into classifications A through E which set a monetary limit for each project and determine the amount of insurance the contractor is required to carry.

As part of the licensing process, contractors are required to:

  • Prove financial responsibility
  • Comply with local zoning and building codes
  • Choose a resident of the District to act as a Resident Agent on their business’ behalf
  • Register their business type/ trade name with the DCRA Corporation Division
  • Obtain the proper forms of insurance and bonding
  • Obtain the appropriate tax identification numbers
  • Undergo a criminal history and background investigation
  • Complete and submit an application to the DCRA along with all the required documents and fees

For more information, visit our page about obtaining a Basic Business License to work as a contractor in Washington DC.

Related Posts