The State of Wyoming does not handle the licensing of General Contractors. Instead, licensing is handled at the local-level. Various cities, towns and counties in the State of Wyoming have developed laws and ordinances that regulate the construction industry and require General Contractors to obtain a license. Before beginning work on a construction project, it is important that all contractors check with their local laws and regulations regarding licensing and permits.
Many cities and counties in the State of Wyoming require contractors to obtain a license. Licensing requirements often call for the contractor to prove a number of years of work experience in the construction field, or pass a qualifying exam. In all cases, contractors are required to hold the proper forms of insurance and obtain the proper building permits to begin a project.
*The only contractors who are regulated at the state-level in Wyoming are Electrical Contractors.
General Contractors in Cheyenne, Wyoming are required to obtain a license from the City of Cheyenne Building and Safety Department. Before a contractor may begin work on a construction project they must hold a license and be familiar with the city’s rules and regulations regarding construction. For more information about contractor rules and regulations for the City of Cheyenne, please visit:
Licenses are issued to the contractor’s business entity, rather than the individual. For this reason, all General Contracting businesses are required to employ at least one person who meets the Building and Safety Department’s requirements for licensing. This person is known as the “Qualifying Supervisor.”
The license application packet for each license classification contains both a contractor license application, as well as a Qualifying Supervisor Application. To obtain a license, both applications need to be completed and submitted along with the following:
- A list of company references. All contractors must submit a list of references from other companies or clients they have worked with in the past. Examples include customers, lumber yards, supply houses, etc.
- Detailed list of the Qualifying Supervisor’s hands-on work experiences
- Proof that the Qualifying Supervisor has taken and passed the ICC National Exam OR the Wyoming Association of Municipalities (WAM) exam. For more information, please contact:
Pearson View: 1-877-234-6082
Wyoming Association of Municipalities (WAM): 307-632-0398
*Some license classifications require an exam, while others do not. The license application for the particular classification (A-S) that the contractor wishes to obtain will note if the classification is “tested” or “non-tested.”
- All contractors must obtain a certificate of general commercial liability insurance, with the City of Cheyenne Building and Safety Department named as the certificate holder.
- If the contractor plans to employ workers, they must hold both unemployment and worker’s compensation insurance. For more information please contact the Division of Worker’s Compensation in the Department of Workforce Services at:
The cost to obtain a General Contractors license in the City of Cheyenne is between $250 and $650 depending on the license classification chosen. There is also a $100 fee for the Qualifying Supervisor and a $50 application fee.
For a list of license the classifications offered and the license fees, as well as links to the appropriate license applications, please visit:
Any applicant required to pass an exam will also be required to appear before the Licensing Board. The Licensing Board meets on the second Tuesday of the month in the City Council Chambers. Those required to appear before the Board must submit 12 copies of their completed license application, one for each Board member to review.
All license applications are due on the last business day of the month prior to the scheduled Board meeting.
For more information about license classifications, or how to obtain a General Contractors license in the City of Cheyenne, Wyoming, please visit:
City of Cheyenne
2101 O’Neil Avenue
Cheyenne, WY 82001
For a list of Department contacts and phone numbers, please visit:
Before beginning work on a construction project in the City of Casper, Wyoming, General Contractors must hold a license from the Community Development Department.
The City of Casper offers three different license classifications to General Contractors, in addition to roofing and demolition contractor license classes:
- Class I- allows contractors to work on buildings and structures of any size
- Class II- allows contractors to work on residential projects with up to 8 units, and commercial projects that are assessed up to 25% of the existing building/structure’s value
- Class II- allows contractors to work on single-family homes that are assessed up to 25% of the home’s value
For more information about the license classifications offered by the City of Casper, please visit:
In order to obtain a Class I or II license, contractors must take and pass the International Building Code exam. Class III licenses must pass the International Residential Building Code exam. Each exam is open-book with a 4 hour time limit.
All applicants must also prove that they have a minimum of 4 years work experience in the field of construction. Along with their application, contractors are required to submit a signed and notarized experience affidavit on company stationery. Work experience affidavits must be completed by someone with first-hand knowledge of the contractor’s work experience, such as an employer.
Additionally, all contractors are required to hold a minimum liability insurance policy with $100,000 for public liability and $300,000 per occurrence and $100,000 in the event of property damage.
For a copy of the license application, please visit:
Casper, WY Contractor License Application
Contractors are required to submit a license fee in the following amounts:
- Class I: $300/ $75 renewal amount
- Class II: $150/ $75 renewal amount
- Class III: $150/ $75 renewal amount
License applications are due 10 days before the Contractor’s Board meets for review. The Board meets on the third Thursday of each month. Along with the application, it is important to submit any additional information about the contractor or their previous experience that may influence the Board’s decision. In some cases, the Board may ask the contractor to appear in person to explain elements of their work experience or application.
For more information about obtaining a General Contractors license in the City of Casper, Wyoming, please contact:
Building / Inspection
Community Development Department
Casper City Hall
200 N. David
Casper, WY 82601
Phone Number: 307-235-8254
General Contractors working in the Town of Jackson, Wyoming must obtain a license from the Jackson Building Department. It is also important that all contractors become familiar with the Contractor License Ordinances set forth by the Town of Jackson. To view a highlighted version of these ordinances, please visit:
These ordinances state that all General Contractors must have a working telephone in order to hold a license. The phone must be answered during business hours or there must be an appropriate voicemail service.
They also state that all General Contractors must employ someone with a master certificate of qualification (COQ) in the license classification that the contractor is applying for. In order to hold a COQ, the person the contractor employs must take and pass the ICC exam and have the between 2 and 8 years of work experience in their field, depending on the license classification.
*The above link offers only highlights of the city’s ordinances for contractors. For a complete copy of these ordinances, please call the Town of Jackson at: 307-733-3932
The Building Department offers the following license classifications to contractors:
- Class A- General Contractor License: allows contractors to work on buildings or structures of any size. COQs must have a minimum of 8 years work experience.
- Class B- Building Contractor License: allows contractors to work on commercial projects and multi-unit residences that are 3 stories or less in height. The COQ must have a minimum of 4 years work experience in this field
- Class C- Residential Contractor License: allows contractors to work on one and two-family homes and accessory buildings. The COQ must have at least 2 years work experience for this classification.
For more information about license classifications offered in the Town of Jackson, please visit:
For a copy of the Contractor License Application, please visit:
For a copy of the Certificate of Qualification Application (COQ), please visit:
Along with the license application, and the COQ application, contractors are also required to submit a reference form, completed by someone with first-hand knowledge of the applicant’s experience. For a copy of this form, click the link below:
Contractors are also required to submit proof of general liability insurance in the minimum amount of $500,000 and a surety bond in the amount of $10,000. Bonds and insurance must be issued by a company licensed to do business in the State of Wyoming. The contractor should be listed as the principal and the Town of Jackson must be listed as the oblige on each policy.
The cost to obtain a Class A, B or C license in the Town of Jackson is $300. COQs must also pay a fee of $50. Licenses are good for a period of one year and expire each year on December 31st. Upon renewal all licensees must pay a $300 renewal fee. COQs must renew their certificate every 3 years at the cost of $25. Upon renewal, COQs must also attend 8 hours of continuing education.
All applications are due 14 days before the Board of Examiners (BOE) meets. The BOE meets to review applications on the second Tuesday of each month.
For more information about obtaining a General Contractors license in the Town of Jackson, Wyoming, please call or visit:
Planning and Building Department
150 E Pearl Avenue
P.O. Box 1687
Jackson, WY 83001
Phone Number: 307-733-0440
To work on any construction projects within the city limits of Cody, Wyoming, General Contractors are required to hold a license. Licenses are issued by the City Contractor’s Board. General Contractors must obtain a Class A license from the city in order to bid on or secure work. Class B and C licenses are offered to other contractor types, such as electrical or plumbing.
For a copy of the license application, please visit:
All contractors must complete, sign and notarize this application and submit it to the Contractor’s Board, along with the following:
- Letters of recommendation that prove the contractor has at least 4 years of work experience in the field of contracting. Acceptable work experiences include work as a contractor, journeyman, carpenter, architect, engineer, or other related experiences. Each letter should provide detail of the contractor’s experience, including the type of work performed and the duration of the work.
- Proof that the contractor has taken and passed the General Contracting (Building Construction) Exam from the Wyoming Trades Certification program. This program is sponsored by the Wyoming Association of Municipalities (WAM). For more information, please call:
- Proof that the contractor has obtained general liability insurance in the minimum amount of $1,000,000 for bodily injury and $1,000,000 for property damage.
*Cody City Hall offers a notary service for license applications at no charge.
The cost to obtain a General Contractor License in Cody, WY is $100 with a one-time processing fee of $50. All licenses are good for a period of one year, expiring on December 31st of each year. All contractors will receive a renewal form in the mail prior to their license expiration. The cost to renew is $100.
The Contractor’s Board meets once a month to review license applications. The Board meeting occurs every 4th Tuesday of the month at noon. All license applications must be submitted to the Board at least 10 days before the scheduled meeting.
For more information about obtaining a General Contractors license in the City of Cody, Wyoming, please call or visit:
City of Cody: 307-527-7511